Tuesday, January 26, 2010

I really don't like snow. Sorry guys.

This is why I hate snow. Snow ups the chances of train delays which consequently ups the chances of you missing your connection and/or freezing your a$$ off on the platform. You say it doesn't make sense that you could miss your train if the connecting train is later than scheduled?

Logically that may be so but in reality a delayed train means disruption to the whole system they have going at the station which in this case means a possibility of a change of platform for where you embark. In most stations in Europe, minus all the major ones, announcements are still only made in the native language which could be a problem. To find out more information on this delay or change of platform, you would have to walk all the way back to the main entrance or wherever the information board is.

Now, what if while you're strolling to find out what's going on, your train arrives somewhere not where you are? Exactly. You miss it!

I just had to wait for over 30 minutes on pictured platform above because my train was supposedly 15 minutes delayed. Of course it was a lie because I ended up on that platform way longer. They also decided to change platforms at the last minute but I was lucky enough that it was just to the next one.

Anyhow, before making your trip on a snowy day, make sure to always check with the station/airport of departure on arrival and departure status but also be prepared to find out that the situation may not be as predictable as you wish it to be.

Now, I'm going to pray that they don't take forever to de-ice the wings on my connecting flight to Budapest.

Sent from my BlackBerry® wireless device via Vodafone-Celcom Mobile.

4 comments:

Hanie said...

Oh dear! I'm surprised it still snows that much even now :3

(I know it irks you for practical reasons, but I do hope it still snows enough for me to pack a snowball when we get there!)

Daiana said...

I arrived here by hazard, looking for pages about travels, and I think it will be interesting to read your chronicles, so I'll come back to check sometimes :)

Aww snow it's really a problem, I understand the problem. Here it snows a lot, so sometimes is really annoying.

Take care!

Daiana

Nora said...

Hi Daiana!
Thanks for accidentally dropping by our blog. We promise you that we will be writing of far more interesting stories when the trip actually starts ;-) I know Hanie and Lydd and super excited, and their excitement is fueling mine. We will try to even post audio podcasts, it beats actually writing a blog!

Just 2 more weeks to go before my work ends and the other two joins me!! Hope to see you around here.

Daiana said...

Hi Nora!
I'm looking forward to reading your stories, then :-)! I'm sure that everyone must be really excited, traveling is always such an amazing adventure.

I'll check back soon ;-)

Daiana