Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Glorious food, or in this case sweeeties!!!

One thing you always look forward to when traveling abroad is the amount of new food and desserts that await your coming. We already have a list of must-try food items on our list and armed with our Google maps we shall make our way to places pretty close to heaven in Europe. Perhaps that is saying too much, but that is never saying a lot when it comes to indulging yourself in gold equivalent food!! Right?

Main dishes aside, I'm going to focus on the 'sweet things' we will be ravishing this time, presented here in full color.

Sachertorte

Where? Cafe Sacher, Vienna
Why? 2 layers of not too sweet chocolate cake with a layer of jam in between, served with whipped cream!!!
Anticipation Level (!) (!) (!) (!) (!)

Macarons

Where? Laduree, Champs Elysee in Paris
Why? Personally, I have never had one of these little sinful things before because their colors throw me off. They look too sweet to me ^^;;, but being in Paris is a definite excuse to dine as princesses do, so I'll give this first grade Whoopie Pie a try!!
Anticipation Level (!) (!) (!) (!)

Gelato

Where? Old Town, Prague
Why? When I was last there, our guide showed me a store that supposedly has the best gelato in all of Czech Republic, so I am gamed. The fact that it is winter is dampening my enthusiam for ice-cold yummies but it'll be a challenge.
Anticipation Level (!) (!) (!)

Kaiserschmarrn

Where? Edelweiss Restaurant, Frankfurt
Why? I had this once before in Munich, though this is an Austrian and Bavarian delicacy, after much googling, I found a restaurant in Frankfurt that serves it for lunch. I take a lot of pleasure in feeding people this mashed up pancake dish, a real good warm dessert to kill the chill in winter time. Bah, it's just good to put into your mouth anytime all year round!
Anticipation Level (!) (!) (!) (!) (!)

Well, that's that and I am sure there are more that we will want to try as we hit cheese shops and bakeries. Is that a shiver I feel running up and down my spine? Is that loud thump reverberating in me, my heart beating? Feels like it. A few more days to go before we stuff ourselves with wholesome goodness.

BONUS:
Here is something I am going to have to have when we are Paris. I've had Paninis all over the world now but nothing beats having one of these in Paris. I have no idea if it is the air that adds oomphh to it, or if the stares you get devouring it as you make your way around town that heightens the experience and the way your taste receptors react to every bite but this is a must have when in Paris!! Oooh yeah.

7 comments:

Hanie said...

haha! first grade whoopie pie!! I assure it will be BETTER than a whoopie pie :3 (I'm particularly looking forward to caramel and sea salt flavour mm)

Don't forget pastries like millefeuille and Parisian breads!! :D

Nora said...

One thing about having lived in Japan before is realizing that most of their desserts are copies of the French, which I really loved, but somehow I never got into macarons!!! It's so weird. But yeah crepes, creme brulee and millefeuille are goooooooood stuff!!

Nora said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lydd said...

*wiping drool off my keyboard* CAN'T WAIT!!!!!

Sherry said...

Girls, I'm so excited for you!!!

Personally, the sachertorte isn't my cup of tea. In fact, it took me 1.5 hours to finish my slice that my Austrian friend remarked "I guess it is not that good after all!" Definitely must try!

Another thing you should try - ice cream in Paris. Apparently it is one of the BEST icecreams in the world. It was good, though I am hardly the authority on icecreams as I am not a big fan. It's somewhere near Notre Dame if I remember correctly. Ask around.

And have fun!!!

*totally envious*

Lydd said...

Hi Sherry!

1.5 hours to finish a slice of sachertorte? Either the cake was too rich or it wasn't that good after all huh? lol! ;)

I think I know which ice cream you're talking about. It's the one in Berthillion. I've had it marked as one of the things we must eat in Paris :)~~~ Not sure if my mouth can take such cold stuff in winter but hey, if it's better than Haagen Daaz it's definitely worth a try right? :D

*drooling over my keyboard. Again*

Sherry said...

Nah, somehow I found it was a tad too dry, and we had it fresh at the cafe too! Hopefully you girls have a better experience!

Have fun!