Saturday, February 13, 2010

My First Meal in Germany

This food review is rather due as we are actually in Paris now. I haven't found the energy to blog since coming to Europe because of jet-lag. I think between the 3 of us, I'm the one who's having the most difficulty adjusting to the time change (I've been the one sleeping the earliest, and getting up at a godforsaken hour at SIX in the morning!! argh!!!)

As mentioned in Nora's previous post, we had our first meal in Germany in Binding... which was empty when we entered but filled up with people as the night went on.


The place was warm and inviting. It was pretty cosy in there, too.

The funky looking ceiling deco in Binding.



We were served with bread before our drinks and main course arrived (that's Nora's salad in the background). The bread was hard and cold... which made me miss the kind of bread you'd get in an Italian restaurant (which is soft and warm, and served with olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Yumm!).

I ordered my first beer in Germany - the Krusovice. Sure, this isn't a German beer (it's from Czech Republic), but I wanted to try something on the menu that has an 'odd'/unfamiliar name.


I have no complains this beer as I've always preferred dark beer to light beer. The beer is smooth and if you're worried about having to drink through the frothy head before getting to the actual beer, then don't as the frothy head disappears rather quickly. But even as the frothy head disappears, you'd still get that 'fresh' beer taste (unlike with, say, Carlsberg, where after the frothy head disappears, the taste of that beer kinda reminds me of drinking my own vomit. lol!)

I really enjoyed the taste even though it felt quite light for dark beer. You'd definitely won't get drunk with drinking just one glass. Also, I thought it went well with my meal.

For my main course, I ordered the Fried Meatballs with potatoes and onions.


(p/s: For those of you who know me, then you would know how much I despise onions. But part of this trip was to try out new stuff and do things I wouldn't normally do. And yes, I did eat 'em onions!)

If there's one word to describe my first German meal, it would be salty. The food was alright for the first 10 bites, but after that my tongue started to feel 'funny' from eating all that salt. Even the potatoes were salty. I'm glad I had the beer to wash it down.

I don't know what else to write about the food coz really, all I can remember about it was it being salty. So yeah, the food was alright but am not too crazy about it :P

Here's the address for Binding Am Goethehaus:
Weißadlergasse 15
60311 Frankfurt am Main, Germany.

1 comments:

Hanie said...

Hey the crispy fried onion goes so well with the potatoes! So yeah, good thing u ate it. I thought the potatoes are good though, there's a fresh potato-salad feel about it.